Friday 22 June 2012

Some new energy gadgets

Seeing as we now have a summer, I thought it was a contrary time to post my experiences with some new heating related gadgets.


Smart Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV)
My flat has two floors that are connected by an open staircase, so I was heating both rooms all of the time. Now with one of these valves upstairs, I can heat the upstairs (breakfast room) in the morning and the main thermostat will cut off the heating when up to temperature. In the evening the upstairs radiator is turned off so that the downstairs (TV room) radiators provide all the heat letting both rooms get warm.

I got an Energenie Smart Radiator Valve. It is controlled by an infrared remote control so you have to be nearby to operate it. Although this Conrad Wireless TRV is likely to be easier to use and should be controllable using an arduino.

Thermal Leak Detector
This is an interesting tool - point it at a wall and it shows where the cold spots are.
Black & Decker TLD100

No comments:

Post a Comment